Friday, January 30, 2015

Making more best sellers!

I sometimes have a hard time getting back to work in January after the busyness of pre-Christmas shows and the busyness of holiday time.  It doesn't help that there is no water in my studio, so it means I have to carry water from the house into my backyard studio--not huge quantities most days, but when it comes to glaze mixing time it's...cumbersome.  Needless to say, I try to keep adequate supplies of glaze through the winter months and only mix large quantities in the spring/summer/fall, using the nearby garden hose!

It's always nice to have orders to work on in January/February.  Fortunately, there usually are some worthwhile orders this time of year.

And it's time to make more of last years' best sellers.

For the first time this year I kept track of how many of each item that I sold.  No surprise that all the different kinds of mugs I make topped the list!  Also right up there are French butter dishes and yarn bowls and wee bowls (hundreds of them!)  I was glad to see some of the larger bowls & platters that I make up there in the top 12 as well.  While I enjoy making, using & selling functional pottery (which tends to be mostly rather small scale) it is satisfying to have a variety of forms, shapes and sizes in my repertoire.

I'm looking forward to working on some new ideas too before the spring sales begin in April.  Stay tuned for photos.
footed mugs for an order (bottom shelf)

Bowls, butters pots and yarn bowls glazed & ready to fire

No comments:

Post a Comment